Monday, September 11, 2006

An Invitation to a Post Mortem

Oooh, I got to play "grown up" today! After months of begging and coaxing and persuading my boss that the magazine really, really needed to include me in the post-mortem of our last issue so I could contribute my superior and unique criticisms, I got invited today! I am a stay-at-home mommy, so this is a Big Deal! It means I get to wear lipstick, short skirt, high heels and port my not-oft-used power briefcase to Office in my homey minivan. I get to be with other Grown-Ups (all much skinnier than me, alas!) and scarf down bagels and swill coffee like any other productive adult of society.

OK, I know I am already a Productive Adult by choosing to be a stay-at-home working mom and all that feminist jazz. I wouldn't bring up my kid any other way. But boy, sometimes working from home just doesn't cut it. I was telling the husband yesterday that my interaction with adults has never been as limited as it's been since I had Raina.

I know other stay-at-home moms who don't work have it even worse. You just got to see the park near our home -- it's filled with SAH moms who feel useless, unproductive or bored senseless. I haven't come across any (though I am sure they exist) who don't wish they were doing for a few hours a week something, anything, that doesn't involve diapering.

Speaking for moi, without those few Grown Up hours of coffee-drinking and conferencing, I'd go stark, raving nuts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

going through your backposts. nice stuff.

last para in this post so true!

A Muser said...

Thanks!