Monday, November 13, 2006

Newzed Out

As the situation in Iraq deteriorates, I find myself heading straight for the "Entertainment" section of any news site or news mag. It's terrible, I know, but I've had it. I am done with bungling Bush and his blundering buddies. I have no interest in al-Sadr and al-Maliki, and I have absolutely no opinion on the theoretical partitioning of Iraq and the ensuing fallout.

Ask me about Tom and Katie's pending nuptials, and I might show a glimmer of interest. Talk to me about Angelina Jolie frolicking on a jam-packed Mumbai train, and I might read that story (and go back in time to days of sweat-stained armpits under my nose, commuting to college by the grasp of a couple of fingers, pushed by elbows and prodded by soaky umbrellas, ah, the good old days).

Occasionally, I might take a peek at a serious story ("What, salmonella in Hershey bars?" or "Will the loser of next week's showdown between No. 1 Ohio State and No. 2 Michigan fall below No. 2 in the final BCS standings?").

But for now, TomKat and Brangelina supply all the mind fodder I need.

No comments: