Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Search for the Perfect Sandals

The skies threatened to rain, so I loaded up Raina in the minivan and decided to check out this new Marshalls in our neighborhood. I am a big fan of Marshalls since my pre-mommy days, when I discovered two wonderful bronzes of Nataraj and Ganpati fairly cheap. So when one opened up in our area, I went with somewhat high hopes.

You see, I was on a quest. For years and years, I'd been scouting for the Perfect Summer Sandals. In fact, this quest dates to 1997, when I saw a pair of luscious sandals at my cousin's home in Iowa. Unfortunately, they belonged to said cousin, and short of filching them, all I could do was gaze wistfully and vow that one day a pair will belong to moi.

You may think these must be some gorgeous sandals to inspire such emotion in me. Description: Brown strappy leather with a low heel. The leather straps are braided. That's it. Sounds ordinary, but when I put them on, my feet were so happy! They looked pretty and comfortable. In short, perrrrrfect.

My cousin had purchased her pair at Sears. So of course I checked out every Sears store in every town I've lived and visited since 97 (which are really quite a few). No luck, not even in India, where a lot of American shoes now are manufactured.

Recently, I saw a pair at a shoe store that came close. The price tag? $45. Nooooo! One shouldn't have to pay so much for such simplicity. So off I went to Marshalls today, with aforementioned high hopes.

Of course I had no luck. What's the world coming to these days that one can't find a simple pair of comfy, strappy sandals for summer?

6 comments:

AMODINI said...

Have you tried Dillards ? They have sandals with reasonable heels (under 3 inches) in the $30 price range. Low heeled, good-looking (read simple, plain, minimalistic) sandals are sort of a myth in the US.

A Muser said...

You know, I am not sure there's a Dillard's in Southern California. I will look that up on the Net for sure.

Ms. Maggi said...

Girl,
Head to the nearest Wal-mart. They sell a Dr.Scholl's sandal that is exactly what you want/describe.

A Muser said...

No, really? Wal-mart?? I'm such a snob, I never shop for clothes and stuff at Wal-mart. Will have to give it a shot now.

A Muser said...

No, really? Wal-mart?? I'm such a snob, I never shop for clothes and stuff at Wal-mart. Will have to give it a shot now.

Anonymous said...

Try Pirate Sandals, they are the most comfortable sandals out there! Casual Pirate