Sunday, April 29, 2007

Prenatally Yours

Went for my first prenatal yoga class yesterday at Blue Raven Yoga. The poses were different from the usual Bikram's series (downward dogs, yuck!!!!), because Blue Raven practices Ashtanga/Iyengar. But as I hadn't been to yoga in months, it was great to do something. Anything.

Ever since we began trying for another baby post-miscarriage last August, I've been too afraid to move. And once I found out that I was pregnant, that's it: I became as static as a humongous rock. Now that the first trimester's thankfully behind us, I feel the need to rediscover motion again. But maybe I should have started small, by getting used to walking again first. You know, baby steps.

Yesterday's class was fun as heck, and it was great to be in the company of a bevy of big round bellies. After yoga, the family and I went to pig out at Madras Cafe, our favorite Indian food joint, where for the first time in months, I felt justified in stuffing my belly with the best rasam in SoCal, yummy sambar, idlis and dosas and some rather exotic-looking veggies and dals. (A quick but worthwhile segue here: I highly recommend Madras Cafe to local residents. No Indian food joint we've ever visited in the area comes close to the original ingredients and high quality of the chow here. And their desserts, of which they always have two on their lunch buffet, are the best ever -- never too sweet, just on the right side of delicious.)

Anyhoo, a good day was had by all. But I had some cramping last night which was a little scary, and this morning I woke up to a myriad of aches and pains in muscles I'd forgotten existed. Jeez. I feel as alive as a dying duck. So no yoga classes for a couple more weeks. Will walk around the trails near our home for a bit, maybe do some yoga at home using Shiva Rea's prenatal video (no downward dogs!!!). And maybe in a few weeks, I'll feel better prepared to be a pregnant yogini.

5 comments:

Terri the terrific said...

Congratulations on the second pregnancy! I don't remember how I came here, but having gone through your archives, I wish you'd post more often.

A Muser said...

Thanks, Terri! I try to post as often as I can, but with one active toddler, one crazy cat and my work, I usually have my hands full. But it's great to hear you liked it!

A Muser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

a muser:

i have seen your comments @ terri's, but don't know why i did not visit your blog before!

i disagree with terri about your past productivity - it is just about right (who knows how long it would have taken me to catch up!). on going forward, i would agree with terri! :-)

terri:

i wish you'd commented more often ;-)

- s.b.

A Muser said...

Think I've gotten more productive ever since Terri asked for more (be careful what you wish for, Terri). I think it's the pregnancy hormones that are on overdrive. Plus, the pleasant sensation of actually having someone read -- and comment -- on what you write.