Saturday, April 19, 2008

Happy Six Months, Rohan!

It's been topsy and turvy, crazy and funny, but I can hardly believe our little boy is 6 months old already! He laughs loudly, grins broadly, with the biggest, largest smiles gifted to his big sister. He loves the silly nonsense she talks to him, grabs her hair and grins when she winces.

Other 6-month notes:

He can roll back -- sometimes -- but not roll over yet, in direct contrast to Raina, who learned to roll over, then cried because she couldn't figure out how to roll back. He can sit if propped up. No signs of crawling yet.

At 14 lbs. 6 oz, he's getting close to the weight Raina was at 4 months, so although he's as tall as she was, he's wayyyyy thinner. In fact, his weight has caused us some anxiety, as he was 14 lbs. for at least a month. We tried upping it by introducing rice cereal -- a disaster so far. Rice seems to constipate him incredibly. Then I tried holding off on solids and beginning the process of weaning him. He took one 2 oz. bottle twice, and that was it. The poor thing got super gassy and bloated. Thinking the type of bottle I was using was making him gassy (Avent), I tried the Playtex nurser with drop-in liners. He wasn't having any. It might be that he's lactose intolerant, so I've stopped eating dairy for now. And of course, given up weaning.

So net net, it's been a bumpy journey foodwise. In honor of his six month birthday, I gave him some sweet potatoes today and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Oh yeah, he's teething too. Everything within reach is grabbed and inserted into that drooly mouth, where it's chewed to satisfaction. He's trying to get his toes into his mouth these days. Should make for a fun meal.

Also after months of crying during baths, he giggles and coos in his baby bath tub and tries to hold on to the water spouting off the shower head. He laughs when I sing, "Row, row, row your boat" to him.

When outdoors, the world is stared at by a pair of big intent brown eyes. But no one can talk to him or deign to touch him. Not unless they want to be treated to a downturned mouth followed by loud bawling. The man has stranger anxiety already.

And finally, though he's on a more or less regular nap schedule now, he's not sleeping through the night yet. I've read message boards where moms proudly claim their babies sleep through the night at 5 weeks. I'm still waiting. Maybe in the next six months? Pretty please? Mommy would so love to sleep for longer than 4 hours at a time.

This evening, Rohan's going to his first beach party. Happy partying, sweetie, with many more to come!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sweetie pie - happy 6 months to you ! Give him a hug and a kiss from me M . He looks adorable and I swear he's posing for the shot!
Im sure he'll start falling into a proper sleep cycle now that he's growing up .
Sending a little collage thru mail

Mystic Margarita said...

Muser, Rohan looks adorable! Time does fly, doesn't it? Popol didn't sleep through the night till he was about 9-10 months - then, too, some days he'd wake up at 3:30am and refuse to go back to sleep. It's better now...but once in a while he still wakes up at unearthly times, denying poor momma her beauty sleep. Lots of love and hugs to darling Rohan.

Cee Kay said...

Happy six months to the sweetie pie!! He looks adorable!

We have ahd similar weight problems with M - hang in there. He'll be alright. Good luck with the weaning.

When I started M on cereal at around 4 or 5 months, I didn't pay attention to what I was buying and one of the cereals I bought turned out to be stage 2. That gave her gas and made her uncomfortable for the entire night. I paid the price by not getting any sleep :P And then once I gave her green beans for dinner. By Jove!! Taught me never to introduce high fiber foods at dinner time :P

dipali said...

He is gorgeous! Happy six month birthday, dear little Rohan.
Enjoy his babyhood, proud mom!

A Muser said...

EL, Thanks for the wishes! I'll check my email.
Mystic, time does fly. Yes, I've heard 9 months is how old babies have to be when they absolutely do not need any night feedings. Three months to go!
Thanks, GTN! Rohan's cereal is stage 1, but it's one of those organic, whole grain types. I wonder if that's the problem? :) on the green beans!
Dipali, thanks! Yes, he's at that age that I'm beginning to feel the first pangs of sadness. My baby won't be a baby for long. I'm trying to relax and enjoy his babyhood now...

Terri the terrific said...

Quel cutie! He's adorable. I want another baby, so long as somebody else stays up nights and feeds him/her. When I'm finally at a stage in life when I can sleep through the night, rest is fitful.

A Muser said...

Terri, here's hoping mom will sleep better under the Chennai sky. How many weeks to go before departure?