Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's Time for... More Rainisms!

"Mommy, did you know that dinosaurs are in-sting?"
With visions of bees and dinosaurs running in my head, I said what I say often these days when listening to Raina: "Huh?"
"Yes, they are all dead!" piped R.
"Ah! Extinct!" intelligence belatedly dawned.
"Do you know, Mommy, when I discover a dinosaur in the backyard, what I am going to call it?"
"What are you going to call it, Raina?" I asked obligingly.
"Rainatops."
"Huh?" says this very duh mama.
"Yes, because T-rex and Triceratops are already there -- and they're all dead! Mine is going to be a new one, so it's going to be called Rainatops."
"Why not Rainasaurus?" asked her dad.
"OK, the next one I find in the backyard, I'll call Rainasaurus," Raina assured him.

Lately, Raina's been pretty preoccupied by thoughts of death and marriage.
Yesterday, when tucked in bed for the night, she said out of the blue, "Mommy, when people die, do they all die as a family?"
"Well," said Mommy, reluctantly engaging her fatigued brain into gear, "not necessarily. Sometimes, mommies or daddies die, sometimes kids die."
"But if everyone died, I'd be so sad!" R said, her voice beginning to break. "I would be alone and I would sit on the couch and cry and cry because everyone would be dead and I won't be able to marry anybody!"
"Well, I am sure not everyone would die at the same time. You'll find some man to marry."
"I don't want to marry a man! All men are already married!"
"Not all men are married. Your Uncle Mikey's not married."
"Uncle Mikey doesn't want to marry. That's why he's not married. OK, name three men who are not married."
"Huh?" said Mommy, ready to crawl under Raina's comforter and pass out herself. "OK, let me think."
Long pause while Mommy thinks. She can't believe how few single men she knows these days. Then she names three men.
Comforted, R goes to sleep with a big smile on her face.

P.S. Folks, this is post #101!

14 comments:

Choxbox said...

total cuteness! ROTFL!

A Muser said...

Thanks, Choxbox! Are you still blogging? I can't access you anymore :(

Rohini said...

Man, she is thinking ahead, isn't she ;-)

Anonymous said...

a muser:

holy moley! it is raining rainisms after a long time!

another title for this post would have been "raising raina - 101". your blog definitely is gavaskaresque, not sehwaggy! ;-)

- s.b.

A Muser said...

Rohini, way, way ahead. Wouldn't it have been nice if she'd been thinking careers instead of marriage?
S.B. I love your title! Way more original. Guess I was pretty braindead after those Rainisms.

Terri the terrific said...

She knows what death means? My five-year-old doesn't get it yet. We call it 'going to God's house' for now. Mean thing that she is, she wants my darling Terri to hurry up and die so that we can get a cat like all those ^%#* Disney princesses. I've told her how sad I'd be, but she shows no remorse.

A Muser said...

Don't know if she gets death for sure. But I've been kind of matter-of-fact about it right from the time she first noticed dead bugs and dead flowers. After that, I just kind of extrapolated that to dead folks. She hasn't asked yet where dead things go. I'm sure that question's coming soon! OMG, life without Terri is unthinkable even for me! :))

dipali said...

Toooooo cute:)

Choxbox said...

i do still blog! same place - http://choxbox.blogspot.com/

(apparently cutting-pasting this link works. no idea why some folks can access it but others cannot. its as public as ever!)

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Sooooo cute! Kids...gotta love 'em!

Anonymous said...

:D clever kid!!!

A Muser said...

Thanks, Mamma Mia and Roop!

Mystic Margarita said...

LOL! This is so cute! Can't fault her logic, I must say! I thought I commented on this post, but been so pressed for time that I barely manage to catch up on new posts and often get called away before I can gather my thoughts and comment.

A Muser said...

Thanks, Mystic! And I totally understand about being called away before one can gather one's thoughts and comment -- part of being a mommy, I guess!