Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Packrat

"No, Raina, you don't get to keep a broken hairclip as treasure. That isn't treasure, that's trash," I explained exasperatedly to my recently turned 6-year-old. Raina would put packrats to shame. Her toy bags (yes, plural) are overflowing with stuff any sensible kindergartner would have dumped as garbage a long time ago.

There are the ubiquitous rocks. Many, many rocks. All indispensable, of course. There are stacks of paper of all shapes and sizes that have been cut out and painted. All sculptural and artistic masterpieces and therefore, unthrowable. Then there are miscellaneous itty-bitties -- pipette bulbs from her dad's workplace, bits of ribbon and string, pieces of shells. The plastic whatnots like hair clips, paper clips, garish rings, beads... Just a casual glance around the playroom is enough to make my fastidious husband shudder.

So I put my foot down recently and explained to Ms. Raina the difference between trash and treasure. Her response? "Mom, it's good to reuse."

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got to nip this in the bud . I have clips and assorted rubbish which are vintage 90s but which I am not allowed to throw out . I suppose all these bits and pieces remind Raina of something - :)

Unknown said...

Didnt I tell you long ago that she was a wise un ?

A Muser said...

You are so right, you smart mommy, you! I do need to nip this in the bud. Don't know if Rain is wise yet -- but she's definitely quick with a comeback.

Mystic Margarita said...

Ahhh....Raina's a girl after my own heart! I have been known to hoard assorted rubbish, too, including rocks, pine cones, crushed flowers, letters, cards -- you get the picture! On rare occasions when I take them out, they remind and take me back to the specific instances when I got them. That makes me happy :) But it's definitely tough on whoever has to live with a hoarder!

dipali said...

Raina's treasures are her mommy's trash. How can you possibly win?

A Muser said...

Mystic, believe me, I feel her pain. I am a hoarder too -- of the greeting cards and letters variety. But I have to play devil's advocate if I want to keep the house looking better than a rat's nest. This girl collects EVERYTHING.
Dipali, that's what I am trying to figure out :(

the mad momma said...

well, but she's so right :)

A Muser said...

Wait till your kids start collecting "treasures," MM...

Rohini said...

My brat goes one step ahead - he wants to gift-wrap his trash and give it as presents!

A Muser said...

That's funny, Rohini! Any grown-up might think that a pretty cute present coming from him!