Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quid Pro Quo

It's a truth universally acknowledged that parents of all 4-year-olds threaten and negotiate and occasionally bribe their recalcitrant offspring to get them to do... anything. Anything you want them to do, anything they didn't think of themselves first. Because their initial response is usually some form of "no."
A good portion of my day passes in this way with Raina. (It's no wonder that I find her way more exhausting than my 16-month-old who's at this sweet and cooperative stage. Alas, this too shall pass.)
Today, Miz Raina turned the tables. Or attempted to.
We'd spent the morning at the park and while I was strapping in the kids to their car seats, Raina said, "My mouth is feeling bad." This is a typical prelude to a request for chewing gum. (Digression: The chewing gum is the sugar-free good-for-you kind, but she doesn't know that. If she did, of course, she'd request candy 24/7.)
"No, Raina, you aren't getting any gum," I responded, trying to nip the request in the bud.
"But I want some!" said Raina in her perfected whine.
"Nope. You get gum only as treat and you haven't done anything today to get it. You take a nap, you'll get some," I said.
Raina folded her arms about her and exclaimed, "I'm going to be so mad."
"Feel free," I invited.
And then came The Threat.
"If you don't give me gum, I won't draw pictures for you at school anymore," she said.
Trying hard not to laugh, I said, "That doesn't work with moms, sweetie. It only works with kids."
After a while, I added, "I really like your pictures though."
"Well, I'll draw you some when it's May," she mollified.
Let's see if she sticks to her resolve.

19 comments:

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Hahaha! Ah yes, the fine art of negotiation! Tough!

rads said...

LOL! I have mine threaten me in various different ways, it's actually downright so cute! She taps her foot at me and says "mommy, look at my foot" with her hands folded across her chest. :-)

I know am spoiling her, but they all turn out just fine u know :-)

A Muser said...

Mamma mia, it's all part of motherhood and all that jazz, right? :)
Rads, LOL! That's so cute!

Anonymous said...

a muser:

'"Well, I'll draw you some when it's May," she mollified.
Let's see if she sticks to her resolve.'

let's first see if you are sticking to your (chewing gum) until may!

- s.b.

A Muser said...

Hehehe, sb! She got some, but only after taking a nap :) And nope, she hasn't stuck to her resolve. Yesterday she said, "I was only kidding."

AMODINI said...

LOL ! Kids are just cuteness personified, no ? Well, ALMOST all the time.

A Muser said...

Almost is right, Amodini!

Choxbox said...

LOL!

the mad momma said...

hah! that should teach you. now you can sit and pine until May, missy.

A Muser said...

Chox, Mad Momma, :) No pining required. A couple of days after the incident she said, "You know I was only kidding, right?"

Cee Kay said...

Good going mama!! You drive a mean negotiation, doncha??

Mystic Margarita said...

How did I miss this one? LOL! You're a good negotiator, Muser! Please teach me the finer points of negotiating, won't you? :) Psst - you have only 2 months to go! :)

A Muser said...

GTN, I'm inspired by you!
Mystic, Raina didn't keep to her resolve, saying a couple of days later, "You know I was kidding right?" :)

Cee Kay said...

Awww! You are good for my self-esteem A Muser :) But the little one has got me wrapped around her little finger and now I am looking for inspiration in you :D

dipali said...

This was just too cute!

Rohini said...

LOL! I refused to give him chocolate yesterday and have been banned from his room. Seriously. He told he I can't enter his room for three days!

A Muser said...

Thanks, Dipali!
Rohini, that's hilarious! I wonder if he'll stick to his resolve?

Unknown said...

Well this kind of arm twisting works both ways missy .Would have given anything to watch the expression on your face though!

A Muser said...

I found it rather funny, EL! I am sure there'll be a time though when Raina will come up with not-so-amusing threats. Then, I will have to think of another tactic to get her to do what I want :)